It has been a whole year since My Great-Grandfather, the Alien was published, and what a year it has been. Throughout August 2021, there’s a half price sale on the book in my shop to mark the occasion.
Here’s 5 things worth celebrating from the book’s first year in the wild:
- In Summer 2020, 63 Kickstarter backers pledged £1,587 to help bring the book to life in the first place, launching My Great Grandfather, the Alien on an electrifying journey.
2. Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine, the UK’s leading family history publication featured a 4 page article about the story behind the book in their January 2021 edition.
3. When The Friends of Maple Grove, New York learned about my efforts to tell Thomas’s story, not only did they generously back the campaign but they also helped to arrange a beautiful gravemarker, immortalising his story. Please visit and pay your respects if you’re ever in the area.
But that still wasn’t the end of the Thomas story afterall. The Friends then called on a host of talented singers and musicians from New York and dedicated a special online concert to him. When you watch it, be sure to sing along proudly in your best Scottish accent.
4. The cherry on top came in the form of a prestigious Gold Award for book design in the 2021 Indigo Design Awards. The Indigo Awards jury seeks out “exceptional design of an uncommon artistry”. (Shucks!)
5. Praise for the book came from the worlds of graphic novels and family history. Here’s a few of my favourite comments:
“Fascinating and beautifully illustrated.” Mary Evans, contributing researcher for
Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine
“A unique familial passion project beautifully realised.”
Trusty Henchman Comics
“This adventure through time is a perfect reminder of the niche comics that come out of crowdfunding.”
“Beautifully illustrated and designed.”
Family Tree Magazine
Carl Ballenas, author and President of the Friends of Maple Grove, New York
“The book…is lovely and engaging [with] large, thick pages suffused with colour. Each two-page spread is like holding a small work of art on your lap: combinations of words, graphics, and creativity – sharing space with 100-year old photographs, documents and letters. Every time I pick up the book, I think, “I wish I had something like this for my own family.”
Leah Hargrove, Clan Carmichael USA
What a year for My Great-Grandfather, the Alien! with so many unplanned, amazing things. It was important to me to share Thomas’s story and readers have been so kind and complimentary about the book. To celebrate its success and mark the one year anniversary since its release, there’s a special half price sale on the book throughout August 2021. Grab a copy in the shop.